Tuesday, December 9, 2008

This Is Your Brain on Eggs

My mom and I have breakfast every Tuesday, and I was fixing my most recent favorite, a black bean omelet with salsa, when she asked me about eggs citing the recent refutation that eggs contribute towards high cholesterol and heart disease. So I checked out the egg online.

There is actually an organization called the American Egg Board, and they have quite a few interesting things to say about eggs. Eggs contain 13 essential nutrients, and there is actually evidence that one main ingredient, choline, may actually reduce risk of heart disease. Choline also contributes towards brain function "by maintaining the structure of brain cell membranes, and is a key component of the neuro-transmitter that helps relay messages from the brain through nerves to the muscles"—making eggs, along with fish, a great source of protein and "brain food."

Protein for breakfast is important to keep from crashing later in the day, so if you're not into tuna salad at 7 a.m., saute some onions with red peppers, add a couple of eggs, and top with black beans and salsa for a great tasting combo of protein and carbs.

1 comment:

Workers Comp said...

Thanks for this info, its great. Do you have any more resources or links you could post?

My photo
Charleston, SC, United States
As a food therapist and certified holistic practitioner, I help people develop a healthy relationship with food.