Monday, June 14, 2010

Food Therapy

So...for a long time (it feels like) I've been telling people I'm a health counselor, and they've been giving me blank stares. And while I've gotten pretty good at explaining it, I had the nagging feeling that really, I was born on a different planet to different parents and had an evil twin sullying my reputation throughout the galaxy.

No, that was my dream last night. What I've been sneakily suspicious of is that I am not a health counselor, I am a FOOD THERAPIST! And just this week it came to me, like a bout of deja vu when you actually remember where you had this experience before.

So, ladies and gentlemen, food therapy is my new word for health counseling. Doesn't it sound more impressive? Authentic? Knowledgeable? All of which it is. Because it is accurate. My passion, weird as this might sound, is to figure out what people are doing wrong with food and then inform them how to change it. Well, OK, that sounds a little negative, but I've been a book editor for the past four years, can you blame me?

Really, though, in terms of the clients I've been working with, it has been fascinating for me to see how over the weeks core issues come to light in their relationships with food. And on the surface these issues have nothing to do with food. But they intimately and powerfully affect what people are eating.

So really, I'm like a therapist without a PhD. Scary? No, because people have their own solutions, solutions that work for them. I just help them figure those solutions (and the motivations behind them) out, rather than marketing a pricey diet book or exercise DVD that people follow for three weeks and then give up on. And, of course, I am a fount of delicious, refreshing diet and nutrition information for every occasion.

No comments:

My photo
Charleston, SC, United States
As a food therapist and certified holistic practitioner, I help people develop a healthy relationship with food.