Wednesday, December 8, 2010

The Primal Diet: An Interview

Recently I caught up with an old friend of mine, who informed me that she has discovered the Primal Diet and is loving it. I have heard only a little about this new eating lifestyle, so I asked her to give me a little info for people who might be interested, and she very kindly agreed.

First of all, she says, "I hesitate too much to say, 'I'm Paleo' or 'I'm Primal.' There's a tendency for people to resemble religious fanatics when they define themselves by the way they eat. I don't want to adhere to the orthodoxy, I just want to be healthy. I really encourage people to do their own research, both in what a nutritious diet is and what goes into your food."

I couldn't agree more! Orthorexia nervosa is an eating disorder that has been identified in recent years with obsession over eating a certain way, whether that way is healthy or not. Many people develop this condition while trying to be healthy—in fact, almost every diet is an example of orthorexic behavior.

Below is an excerpt from our interview.

What made you consider the Primal Diet?

I started by reading Good Calories, Bad Calories by Gary Taubes. It really opened my eyes that what "everybody" knows about nutrition is based on some really bad science. The next book I read was Protein Power by Drs Mike and Mary Eades. It applied low-carb/no grain to weight loss. Following their sources, branching out from their blogs I found a lot more information.

Some blogs I follow:
Basically it finally boiled down to biochemistry and common sense. The common sense part is that humans have been eating veggies, meat, and fruit for millions of years; we've only had agriculture for 10,000. Clearly we are more suited to these natural—primal if you will—foods.

Besides, do you know what they feed cows to make them superfat? Grain. (Cows are supposed to eat grass, not grains.) If grain can make a vegetarian cow into a complete lardass, it'll do the same for omnivores like us.

I'll add that there is a very important point here: The natural food of cows is grass. I've discussed this in previous posts on my blog and on Skirt.com, but in short, grass makes beef high in omega-3 fats and vitamin D, both of which are sorely missing from our diet, while grain makes beef high in potentially harmful and highly prevalent omega-6 fatty acids.

What has following the Primal Diet guidelines done for you?

My joints don't ache. I have more energy. I have more libido. I think I'm more cheerful. I'm more driven. My skin cleared up. My weight dropped. No colds or flu since I started it. I don't really sunburn anymore. I'm sleeping better. I can skip a meal and not have a blood sugar plummet. I'm gaining muscle. The low level congestion I'd always had disappeared. My sense of taste has really improved.

What's the best part of eating this way?

Bacon, chicken skin, duck fat. Seriously, I suppose I should say the health benefits are the best part, but it's the food. Lifting weights is my second favorite part. I know that's not "diet," but strength training is an incredibly important part of good health.

What's the hardest part?

Cooking for myself is fine, eating out is never a problem. But when somebody makes "Grandma's special cookies" turning them away can seem like an insult. People have a lot of emotion tied up in food. That's why I really don't want to buy into food orthodoxy. People bond over food, they express love with food. I have a hard time turning away food that other people offer me.


I'll add that I think the point that "people bond over food" is so true. "Food orthodoxy," another term for orthorexia, deprives us of more than food we want to eat. It deprives us of interaction with others, and sometimes makes what we are putting into our bodies more important than our relationships. That's why primary food is so key to healthy eating.

Finally, if you're interested in a healthier way to eat grains, check out my blog on soaking them, and also The Nourished Kitchen is a great resource for recipes and tips.

If you've tried the Primal Diet, or something similar, I'd love to hear about your experience!

No comments:

My photo
Charleston, SC, United States
As a food therapist and certified holistic practitioner, I help people develop a healthy relationship with food.