Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Home Cooking away from Home


Two weekends ago I went up to Pittsburgh and got to see some of my oldest and dearest friends. KD, LX and I prepared the meal above: salmon with onions and brie, my spicy greens recipe, beet salad, and roasted butternut squash. A colorful introduction to fall!

Since then, however, I've been "catching up." Workload has been high, and I haven't felt much like cooking, or even going grocery shopping. This has been frustrating, since I was on such a cooking kick recently and felt really inspired.

But all in all I've been wanting to eat out more lately, and giving myself permission to do so has been a hard road (though a necessary one, since I've been subsisting on Annie Chun's soup bowls and Ezekiel toast with almond butter). Today after my acupuncture appointment with Amy Jo of Re-Soul (and let me tell you, every visit is a soul renewal!) I biked down to Fast and French and treated myself to a turkey plate with gazpacho and a lot of mustard.

Fast and French (or G&M, or whatever you want to call it) is one of my favorite places to eat in Charleston, not just because the food tastes good but because I feel good after I eat it—like I've just eaten something homemade from scratch. Having a repertoire of these homemade "comfort food" places is important when you're feeling too busy or tired or lazy or uninspired to cook—or just when you need a treat.

I did find a fun way to motivate myself to cook this weekend by hosting a pot-luck dinner party. My friend Lili brought Korean food, John brought tortellini salad, Ashleigh brought a veggie plate, Mike brought chocolate and ice cream, TJ brought wine, and I made Serbian Ground Beef and Potato Bake along with an apple crumble. A good time was had by all!

So if you're having a hard time motivating yourself to cook, go out! Find a healthy, delicious restaurant and treat yourself. Or invite some friends over and tell everyone to bring their favorite dish.

1 comment:

sartoriography said...

I will give myself permission to go out if you come to visit and go with me. :) I miss you and, even though I think beef is yucky, I'd love to know more about this Serbian business.

Hope your work load settles down and you're able to get back into your routine.

My photo
Charleston, SC, United States
As a food therapist and certified holistic practitioner, I help people develop a healthy relationship with food.