Monday, September 27, 2010

Recent Cookery: Art, Failure, and Practice

I have been doing a good bit of cooking lately, so I'm trying to catch up. I've also been attempting to improve my photo-taking, so below you'll find a "gallery" of pictures in which I've attempted to capture the art of cooking.

This leads me to something I've been thinking about: cooking really is an art. By that I mean that it has to be practiced. Sometimes you just don't get it right, for example:

This looks like a pretty nice (if bland colorwise) meal of halibut poached in white wine, butter, and chives, with kolhrabi (which had a beautiful purple skin before I peeled it), and okra fritters. I followed actual recipes for the halibut and the fritters, yet found both to be disappointing.

So, it's back to the drawing board. My friend Katie, who is a restaurant manager and a mean cook, and I got together and just combined ingredients. From scratch and our imaginations, we came up with a fantastic dinner, which I've taken pictures of below.


It's always fun to start out with an appetizer, in this case Normandy Farms bread,
EVOO with salt and pepper, cheese, and a glass of red.





a lovely salad Katie prepared with arugula, mushrooms, cucumbers, yellow pepper, shredded carrots, snow peas,
and a mixture of red wine vinegar with beet and carrot salad dressings from Whole Foods salad bar




Farmer's Market basil pasta with seared scallops and a colorful zucchini, squash, and red pepper stirfry






That's a lot more like it!


Not long after, my sister and I made dinner. She has embraced kale as wholeheartedly as I have (must run in the family) and made a fantastic Chopped Kale Salad (recipe below) over red quinoa. We grilled okra and chicken and enjoyed it all with a glass of white wine.


Chopped Kale Salad, Coco Style
  • 1 avocado
  • 1/2 red onion, diced
  • 1 red bell pepper, diced
  • 1 yellow bell pepper, diced
  • 1/2 lemon
  • grated ginger (optional)
  • 1 cucumber
  • 1 bunch red kale
  • sea salt to taste
1. In a large bowl, mash avocado with lemon juice, diced red onion, diced peppers, and sea salt to taste. Add grated ginger if desired.
2. Wash and finely chop kale and cukes. Toss in avocado dressing until coated evenly. If kale seems too crisp, add more lemon and salt to soften.

Serve chilled.

No comments:

My photo
Charleston, SC, United States
As a food therapist and certified holistic practitioner, I help people develop a healthy relationship with food.