Thursday, September 9, 2010

Thursday Night Leftovers: The Night Before Rosebank

So tonight was leftover night because I'm getting fresh veggies from Rosebank Farms tomorrow and I had forgotten to thaw any fish. So I threw together one of the most delicious meals I've had in a long time. I mean, this was alllll flava!


Spicy Salmon Curry
  • 1 cup veggie broth
  • leftover pinkeye peas (which I snapped and cooked yesterday) in broth
  • 1 can salmon
  • about 2 cups leftover rice, which I had cooked with coconut milk (I used Thai Jasmine rice, but you can use any leftover rice)
  • 1 can chickpeas
  • 1 package frozen veggies (green beans, carrots, etc.)
  • 1 tsp curry powder
  • garlic chili pepper sauce (A Taste of Thai brand) to taste
  • sea salt to taste
Basically you put all of this in a big pan and simmer it for 10-15 minutes (depending on how much of a hurry you're in). But if you want instructions:
  1. Heat frozen veggies in vegetable broth for 3 minutes; add salmon and stir.
  2. Add peas in broth; toss in rice and stir.
  3. Add chickpeas, curry powder, garlic chili sauce, and salt to taste. Stir and simmer 10 minutes.
Now I will be the first to admit that canned salmon (despite the fact that it is included my list of 10 things you should have in your pantry) is kinda gruesome when you open it up. But ooooooh, is it good in here! The curry and coconut milk (add some if you haven't cooked your rice in it) take away any fishiness, and the salmon makes the dish richer and soaks up the curry. I had seconds.

But that's not all! I had a bunch of cucumbers from Rosebank, so I made this awesome cucumber raita with chives and basil to top it off!


Chive-Basil Cucumber Raita
  • 1 small cucumber, diced
  • 1 cup full-fat Greek yogurt
  • a handful of chives and basil, chopped
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • 1/2 tsp sea salt
Mix it all up! It's good enough to eat by itself.
And I also had a bunch of fresh squash, so I brushed it with oil and sprinkled on paprika, and tumeric and roasted it in the oven. (I feel terrible that I didn't use my grill, but I wanted to write this post and the grill takes more watching than the stove. I should have used it, though.)
Roasted (Grilled) Squash
  • 2 medium squash (about 2 cups) sliced about 1/2 inch thick
  • olive oil
  • paprika
  • tumeric
  • salt
Brush squash with olive oil front and back; sprinkle with paprika, tumeric, and salt. Roast or grill for 5-10 minutes or until you can insert a fork easily.

All of this serves two very hungry people, three moderately hungry people, or four people who say they don't like leftovers but will be wishing you made more.

No comments:

My photo
Charleston, SC, United States
As a food therapist and certified holistic practitioner, I help people develop a healthy relationship with food.